Vehicular Communication Networks challenges and project ideas
Vehicular Communication Networks (VCNs) are a promising technology for improving traffic safety and traffic efficiency in different road systems. Based on Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) technology, VCNs offer an efficient communication platform for Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and related services, as well as value added services such as multimedia and data services. In that respect, VCNs are expected to provide an efficient wireless platform also for on-the-way Internet as well as for future pervasive roads.
The nature of VCNs and related ITS services creates several new challenges and issues for developing reliable and real-time-capable networks. Those issues can be addressed in the context of roadside networks and vehicular ad hoc networks (VANETs), including vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-roadside (V2R) communications. In general, there are worldwide several R&D activities that have attempted to explore the potentials of VCNs in order to develop solutions for adopting such networks as platforms for ITS and multimedia-related services. However, the main focus of those activities was/is on the design and development of solutions specified mostly for only VANETs.
Although the rapidly developing technology of VCNs requires the employment of reliable, robust and real-time-capable roadside backbones, only few publications have obviously dealt with the challenges and issues of the development of roadside backbone networks, especially in relation to improving the QoS provision and enhancing the security and safety in VANETs. Thus, new dimensions and perspectives of networks design and development have to be considered for roadside backbones of vehicular communications. In that respect, this book represents the first attempt to close the scientific and technical gap in the field of roadside backbones for VCNs.
• Terminology and requirements of roadside networks with focus on roadside backbones specified for VCNs
• Statement of current R&D activities in roadside networks with consideration of current and future test fields
• Design and development of roadside backbones in relation with road systems and related power supplying problematic, especially on highways
• Challenges and perspectives for internetworking between roadside backbone networks and VANETs, especially in accordance with topics such as routing, real-time capability and mobility awareness
• Challenges and solutions for QoS, routing, message forwarding and security in roadside networks in accordance with safety and real-time requirements
• Current and future ITS and value added applications and services for VCNs with focus on roadside networks
• Installation, operation and maintenance of roadside networks
- news-International Conference on Telecommunications for Intelligent Transport Systems (ITST-2011)
- International conference : ICUMT 2010
- News-International Workshop on Communication Technologies for Intelligent Transportation Systems (WCITS 2011)
- wifi companies and vendors
- Technical Challenges for Broadband Wireless